Sunday, September 14, 2008

Cribs, and armoires, and gliders, oh my!

Wow, Cory and I went to look at baby furniture this weekend and needless to say we were slightly overwhelmed with the choices and the PRICES! We both knew it was going to be a big purchase, but I don't think we were quite prepared!

We went to USA Baby and Babies R Us just to look for now and get an idea of how much we would be spending. I can't say that we really found anything that we just had to have--mainly just looking at our options!

So now I have tons of questions for my blogging friends! Here goes:
Opinions on convertible cribs? Is it worth it?
Where did you shop? In stores? Online?
Do you have any furniture buying tips?
What pieces are you the most glad that you bought?

I've already gotten some great tips from some of you (thanks April and Sandra!). But just wanted to hear a few more opinions!


6 comments:

April Kay said...

DEFINITELY convertible!!! I just love ours and it's definitely a bed I would have wanted when I was in high school!! Mason will hopefully love it, too, when he's 18 cuz he's not getting another one! Hee hee!! We probably would have just spent a couple hundred dollars less if it wasn't convertible and I didn't even really see a lot of ones that weren't convertible in sets. We wanted a whole room set and there just weren't a lot of options of sets without convertible cribs. Definitely am happy with our choice! :) You know Marc and me, the biggest researchers ever when it comes to making a huge purchase! Our set at USA Baby was the best deal I could find with a whole room set. And I searched ALL OVER the Internet!! Hmm... my fave piece in the nursery... definitely the changing table dresser/hutch set!! Love ya!

Blessed said...

I agree with April. We got a black bet and bedroom set that he will have to love forever! ;) I will just work the room around it! It made it much easier to buy the whole room set knowing it was a set we would have for MANY years.

I found ours here at a local boutique, but it was the same set I found at Once Upon a Baby in Franklin. They have both new and used furniture. I thought their prices were very reasonable and they have the gliders where you can pick your fabric. They had adorable fabrics! I also checked USA Baby and loved it! I thought they had great prices too, they just didn't have exactly what we were looking for. Also, ask for a discount. We received 10% off for buying the whole set along with our chair at the same time. I love our chair. I don't know how to describe it. It's one of those big, comfy, cozy baby chairs that rocks. Not a glider, but you know what I'm talking about, right?

Marie said...

Best purchase I made was Baby Bargains. It was a WONDERFUL book.It rates different companies and baby items based on baby testing and parents use. It is the only baby book I have read all the way through about pregnancy and babies. I LOVE it. You can get it at any bookstore, here is the book's website.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/babybargains/default.html

We bought a convertible crib and have been very happy, but McKenleigh is only 9 months old. Someone with older children may have a better base for their opinion. We bought ours at Once upon a Child in Franklin. It was the only store in the area that carried this companies beds. We looked online, and many stores, then found the bed we like at OUAC. (side note- they had the hutch in stock, but we had to order the bed- took 8 weeks) Biggest thing I have heard from friends is ... if you get a convertible crib, and you want all the furniture to match in the future, make sure they make all the pieces you would like in the room. Some do not make bedside tables, dressers and so on.
What not to waste your money on-
pastel color toys. We were given a pastel activity mat and it was really cute, but I did not think about it at the time,but new babies cannot see light colors. After a month or so of no interest in her activity mat, I bought a bright colored one, she loved it from day one.
Hope that helps. Sorry it is so long.

Shane, Natalie, Madelyn & Murphy said...

Think about this....What if a sibling comes along...do you buy all new baby furniture??
Some/most people space their children out 2-3-4 years apart.. So my thought is to get a child used to a "big" bed before next baby comes. If the two of you are not planning to have any more children, I would say "go ahead and buy the convertible"..I think a lot of them come that way anyway. We wanted Madelyn's baby furniture to be baby furniture and that is it.. Once a toddler gets finished with it, I'm not so sure you'll want to change it to a nice bed. (Madelyn scratches her teeth on the inside!)..just a thought.
I would have to say that our changing table is pretty neat. You can flip it and it turns into a bedside table.
I have most enjoyed my nice, comfy chair that rocks. I chose not to get a glider b/c I've read too many children get their fingers caught in them and broken..ouch!
We got all of our baby bed stuff at USA Baby..They put on a great Sale called the "Once a Trimester Sale"...

I hope I helped a little..

Erica Simpson said...

Convertible Crib here too! We got our furniture at Babies R Us in Nashville.

All of Anna Kate's bedding was Pottery Barn Kids and well worth what we paid. It still looks new after 3 years.

My husband is also a huge researcher so it took forever to buy anything. We did buy the dollhouse book shelf from Target-they do a lot of knock-off pottery barn stuff.

I didn't buy a changing table with my second-I decided we never get up to go change a diaper in another room so it was s waste.

Hope that helps!
Erica

Blessed said...

Oh, I never used my changing table. NOT ONCE! Can you believe it? Ours is a bookshelf, hutch type thing with the table on it. I felt like I would hit his head on the shelves and I would have to change diapers side ways. So, I have always changed diapers on the bed. I don't recommend that either, because we are in DESPERATE need of a new comforter. Ewww... But, it worked!