Saturday, February 7, 2009

Luke Andrew


So I know you want to know the labor story and how Luke arrived here this week, so here's the details!! I went to the doctor on Tuesday for my 39 week visit and my blood pressure had skyrocketed to 150/90 (it had been 110/60 the whole pregnancy!), so my doctor got really worried. Oh, and my face was swollen--and still is! So she thought I was getting preclamsia and thought it would be a good idea to go ahead and induce. So they wheeled me over to the labor/delivery room and began hooking me up to all the monitors and gave me an iv drip of magnesium (a "mag bag" as the nurses called it which made me SO out of it)! I had to call Cory at work and tell him to run home and get the hospital bags because Luke was coming today!
I still wasn't even dilated, so they had to give me something to help soften the cervix before they could even give me the petocin. Then around 8:30 that night, the doctor and nurses thought they could go ahead and give me the petocin to start the contractions, but they warned me that it would take a long time before Luke would actually get here. They also thought I should go ahead and get the epidural (even though I was only 1 cm dilated!) in an efffort to help reduce my blood pressure. So I went ahead and got it--so I never felt any contractions at all! But while I was getting the epidural, my water broke! I was SO confused because I was laying there waiting to feel the needle in my back and then I felt the 'trickle'!! But luckily that was able to take my mind off the epidural!
The contractions started soon after that but they were really irregular and everytime I would have a big one, Luke's little heartbeat would drop down low. So they eventually took me off the petocin around midnight and thought they would try again in the morning and give my cervix time to soften some more. But even after that, Luke's heartbeat wouldn't stay stable and kept dropping down low. My doctor was worried that the cord was either wrapped around his neck or maybe it was getting squished by my uterus contracting--either way, they decided they needed to do a c-section to get Luke out!

Everything after that happened so fast that it is just the biggest blur! I was prepped and taken to the OR and within a few minutes Luke was here! His little heartbeat dropped even lower during the c-section so it turned into an emergency c-section and the nicu was called in. It was a little scary for a few minutes, but thankfully everything was okay!

And now we are spending each day enjoying our little blessing!




The loves of my life!!

We had lots of visitors at the hospital--I wish I would have gotten a picture of all of them! Here are a few people who came to meet little Luke.


Karen (Nannan)

My dad, Carolyn, Kay, and Cory

Marc and April

Jennifer and Jana


Luke already loves his crib!

12 comments:

jenni said...

i'm so glad everything turned out ok--it must have been a little scary there for a minute.

i hope your recovery goes quickly...i'd love to come by in the next few weeks and meet him--i'll give you time to rest up!!
love you!

Tamara said...

Gorgeous!! I know it's not that way you had imagined but the important thing is that he is here and you are both safe and sound!!!

Kristin said...

He's so little! Can't wait to see him tonight!

Angela said...

I am so happy that your sweet little boy is here!! I hope you are getting settled in at home and that everything is going well. I can't wait to see you all again!
Angela

maggie and michael said...

Congratulations Andrea! He's so cute! I'm so glad everything ended up okay!

Blessed said...

He is just so precious! I am so so glad I was able to come by and hold him for awhile. He is so so cute! I could have held him all day. I can't wait to come back again soon, hopefully! I miss you and baby Luke already! You look amazing, btw!

Love ya!

Mandy said...

Congratulations Andrea! Luke is precious and you look great. Enjoy these first few weeks, even though they can be stressful at times. I know you'll be a great mom!

Mandy Evans

The Spaulding Family said...

Congratulations...what a blessing. I am so behind as I am just getting caught up on blogs! Golly, I am just thrilled and am sending many well-wishes, Sweet Friend!!!

The Kinards said...

He is absolutely one of the prettiest babies ever! He has such a sweet complexion! I know you are proud. Enjoy these special moments with Luke....I wish my Marissa was still that small. You look great!

The Blankinships said...

congratulations, sweet friend! it was so great to see you the other day...just in time. he is just beautiful (and you are too). i hope you're recovering well. love ya!

Kim said...

Awwwww.... he looks so tiny in his crib. And he really is beautiful! That must've been scary going through those complications. I'm glad your little miracle is perfect. =)

Shane, Natalie, Madelyn & Murphy said...

He is SO BEAUTIFUL!! I can't wait to meet little Luke! Take lots of pictures and post!!and get some rest too....-Nat