I haven't updated the blog in forever for a few reasons, but the main reason is because I needed to do this post. And frankly, I didn't have the words. And I still don't. But I'll do the best I can...
On Monday, July 2, we got a phone call from Cory's stepmom, Cheri, that Cory's dad, Dave, had had a heart attack while playing tennis with Cory's older brother. At that time, he was being transported to the hospital, and that's about all we knew. We were in shock and waited by the phone for more news and prayed and prayed for Dave. About 30 minutes later we got another phone call from Cory's brother that Dave had passed away. We were in absolute complete shock and were totally devastated. They live in San Antonio, and all we could think of was getting there to be with Cheri, Andrew, Dan, Sarah, and Hudson. I don't think there's a worse feeling than knowing that your family needs you, and you being so many miles away.
I lost my mom when I was in high school to cancer and while it was the hardest time of my life at least we knew that she was very sick. And even though we pushed it to the back of our minds, we knew that it was a very real possibility that she might not make it through. With Cory's dad passing away so suddenly,we had so many different emotions and questions--the what if's and the why's. We would have given anything to have that one last goodbye, one last skype, one last hug. one last laugh, one last "I love you." We were mad at ourselves for not making a trip to Texas recently to see him and so very sad that Luke and Cate wouldn't get to know what a fun, loving, life-of-the-party, family man that he was. We were heartbroken for Cheri and Cory's little brother, Andrew. We are going to miss Dave terribly, but we are so thankful for all the memories we have of him. I know that Dave was so proud of Cory and the man he has become, and I know that Dave was so proud to be a Pop Pop to Luke and Cate. And I know we will see him again one day.
.jpg)



No comments:
Post a Comment