Pretty much the only thing I hate about living in the South is the severe weather that comes every Spring. And this year, it's started earlier than normal. We can usually count on have lots of bad storms and tornadoes in April, but this year, they started in January. Last Friday, they were predicting horrible tornadoes in the area, and the news interrupted programming all day just to warn us about the storms coming later that afternoon. This, of course, made me a nervous wreck. I don't ever remember being this scared of severe weather, maybe it has to do with the fact that now I have to protect my two little babies too.
Cory got off work two hours early on Friday because of the predicted storms, and right after he called to say he was on his way home, I heard the tornado sirens go off. At our old house, we never heard them. But the sirens are very close to our new house so it only makes me more nervous whenever they start. Thankfully, the worst of the storm went slightly north of us--maybe by 5 miles. And no tornadoes developed inside the city--there were two possible ones that touched down about 45 minutes away.
Since I had been watching the news all day, I had lots of time to prepare our "safe place" in the tiny bathroom downstairs. We had pillows, blankets, water, our laptop, Luke's mickey mouse, and Cate's mattress over our heads to protect us. Luke thought this "tent" was the best thing ever and wanted to stay in there all afternoon watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on the computer.
I'm so very thankful that we didn't actually have to use our "safe place", and praying that we never will.
Luke in our "safe place"



1 comment:
I hope Friday was not a sign of the spring weather to come...my nerves can not take that! Jackson kept asking me why I would put a football helmet on him when we would go to the basement! Scary day! Glad the storms passed you by.
Post a Comment