What a week we've had!
I have to blog about it so I don't forget. Cate was unusually fussy on Tuesday, but I thought she was constipated because she was grunting and straining so much. Well, on Wednesday she developed a fever of 100.5. And we've been told a hundred times, if a newborn develops a fever over 100.4 to call the dr. Well, her pediatrician told me to bring her in immediately so they could check her out. Cate didn't have any symptoms other than a fever (and being fussy), so her doctor was worried and sent us straight to the ER to have some tests done. I'm not sure who cried more that day--me or Cate! Poor baby had to have an IV and catheter put in, and then had to have a spinal done to collect her spinal fluid. She did so great though and slept most of the seven hours we were at the hospital.
Thankfully all the preliminary tests came back normal so we got to go home. We had to wait for the cultures to come back (which were also negative), and we had to go back to the pediatrician everyday until the fever was gone for them to monitor her.
I guess I never realized how serious a fever was in a newborn, and I'm so thankful that she's okay and fever-free now!
Luke ended up getting sick on Friday--I'm sure he picked up something from being at the pediatrician and hospital that week! And thankfully his was short-lived.
It was definitely a week I don't want to ever repeat!


1 comment:
So sorry! Poor Cate. Same thing happened to Jack when he was 31 days old. His fever got to 103.9 and we were in the hospital for 3 days. It was awful and then I got it while he was still in the hospital. It is a scary thing seeing your baby sick. Glad she is better!!!
Post a Comment