Monday, March 8, 2010

sick....again

I have to admit this past weekend has been the absolute hardest few days we've had as parents. Saturday afternoon after Cooke's party, we noticed Luke felt really warm but he didn't have any other symptoms that he was sick. So we took his temp, and it was 103. He's never had a fever that high before. So we called the pediatrician who told us just to watch him for the next couple of days and he probably had roseola (a high fever followed by a rash). When we put him to bed Saturday night, his fever had dropped to 101 so we felt better. Well, he woke up an hour later screaming, and he felt THE hottest. So we took his temp, and it was 105.2. We knew we needed to get him to the ER asap. Luckily Cory remained calm under the circumstances because I was an emotional wreck. I couldn't look at Luke without busting into tears--and he was crying just as hard as me!
Luke and Cory (with his very fake smile) at the hospital. Luke even wore a little hospital gown.
We are so thankful we have one of the best children's hospitals in the world nearby, and they took such good care of us. Luke had his blood drawn, chest xrays, and a catheter put in to get urine samples. It was extremely tramatic for him--and me. But thankfully everything came back normal, so they thought it was probably a viral infection. We finally left the hospital at 4:30 in the morning.


Me (with my very sad face) and Luke waiting for the doctors.

This what we've been doing for the past two days--snuggling. Luke hasn't really wanted to play at all. He just wants to be held. Poor thing.

He was feeling better this morning so we went on a walk to enjoy the beautiful weather and get out of the house.
Can't wait to see this happy face again!
Luke's fever was down for most of today, but it went back up to 103 tonight. We're just praying it goes down tomorrow (and stays down) and that he'll get his appetite back.

3 comments:

Pauliwog said...

Oh Andy! I am so sorry to hear about Luke!! I know that that can be SO scary!! Glad to hear that he is feeling better though! Love and miss you Friend!!! Thinking of you!

Leigh Anne said...

Poor Luke! Daniel had a 105 fever about 3 weeks ago at the doctor's office. He also had the fever virus....get ready! We get it ALL the time and it is awful. I have had it twice and my temp got to 104. Jack had to be hospitalized with it when he was only 30 days old. I feel for you.....I've been there and know what it is like. Hope he is feeling better!!!

The Kinards said...

Sorry to hear about Luke! That sounds like NO FUN!! Marissa had to get Cathed today b/c she has a bladder infection. That was terrible having to hold her down while they did that. I wanted to cry too! Hope he is on the mend! Thanks for the shirts, bibs, and cloths! They look AMAZING!! Can't wait for Kimmie to see them and my brother to see the patriotic outfits! Thanks for being so wonderful! :)